Friday, June 1, 2012

Soda Jerk

In order to attempt to curb obesity, the mayor of New York wants to make it illegal to sell "sugary drinks" that are larger than 16 ounces. 


Is he high?

I am so outraged!  (Of course I am, or this post wouldn't exist.)  Not because I need my Big Gulp or Slurpee.  I am out of my mind wondering when the insanity is going to end.  Leave fat people alone already!  Dictator Bloomberg does not need to ban the sale of large sodas to get people in shape.  This doesn't actually apply to just soda.  It's sugary drinks which could include juice and lemonade too.  You're walking in the city with your family on  a hot day.   Would like a tasty drink that will also cool you off.   You also don't want to get stuck holding every one's cup (come on moms...you know you're the one who gets stuck holding every one's shit until you find a garbage can.)  Then you realize, oh no, you can't just buy one big lemonade for everyone to share.  You now have to buy four lemonades so everyone can get their sip.

I watch people on the news and the idiots are like "Oh, it's a great idea.   Soda is so unhealthy. Everything in moderation!"   Yeah, great....we all know that soda isn't a healthy choice but don't these dopes realize that their right to drink it is slowly being violated?  They are not seeing the big picture here.   It starts with large sodas.   What next?  Will cotton candy be banned from carnivals?  Will Tostidos be forbidden at barbecues?  Go ahead, laugh.   But these enjoyable, edible delights have no nutritional value either.  Who is to say government won't eliminate these items as legal purchases?   Let me tell you, I will probably go apeshit if Doritos are made illegal!  I love them!

Imagine walking into a pizza shop and ordering a pie with extra cheese for your family.   At first the guy behind the counter says, "Sorry, if we sell you a pizza with extra cheese we will be fined and could lose our license."  You get upset because  you just came from the gym, had a salad for lunch and don't feel like cooking dinner for your family.  You agree to order the pie with no extra cheese but then you are told that you cannot order a whole pie anymore because the mayor decided everyone is too fat and he is afraid that someone might actually eat the whole pie by themselves.  So now you  have to pay $12.00  for 6 individual slices when you could have just bought a pie for a total of $2.00 less, had more slices and maybe even left overs for the next day. 

Or, imagine going into a grocery store and the entire snack aisle is gone.  You're P.M.S'ing and you just need something salty so that you don't punch a wall.  Sorry, it's now illegal.   You promised your kid an ice cream party for his birthday.   Sorry, son.  We'll have to have a broccoli party instead but to make it fun maybe we can dip the broccoli in ranch dressing.    But they only sell the ranch dressing in 4 ounce bottles because anything larger would make people fat. 

In all honesty, I'm not a huge soda drinker.  I don't even think I ever bought a large gulp or a size larger than 16 ounce.  If it is made illegal, it would not really effect my life.  But if I do want to buy one, perhaps share it with my spouse or just have a nice large cup to put change in afterwards, I should be allowed to buy it.   I don't need government telling me what I can and cannot swallow.  I get mad when my husband does it, even madder when the government does. 

By the way, this mayor also made it illegal to donate food to homeless shelters. Why?  Because they could not assess the amount of salt, fat and fiber in these foods.   Uh, sorry, but if I'm homeless and can't afford to buy food..I really don't give a shit if it has high salt and fat.   I'm eating!!!!  

Enough of the food police!   Gluttony may be a sin..but it's not a federal offense. 





No comments:

Post a Comment