Tuesday, April 16, 2013

No Good Deed

The saying "No good deed goes unpunished" is really a life lesson, not just some silly saying.

When I was a teenager, I was a lifeguard at a town pool.  There were 3 stations which each of us responsible for a certain section of the L shaped pool.  There was one lifeguard who was obviously in it for the tanning potential.  She might have passed the test to become a lifeguard but she had no desire or ability to  do so.   Here's how it went down.  She was sitting in one of those high up lifeguard stands, as was I.  She was across from me, but facing my side.  I was watching the other side of the "L."  In my peripheral vision I see some splashing and I glance that way.  It looks as though a boy is climbing on top of another boy.  Is he playing, trying to dunk him or is he struggling?   Well, I look over at the chick who is supposed to be watching that section.   What is she doing?  Examining the her fucking manicure!  She's looking at her fingernails for God's sake.   I quickly jump in the pool, grab the boy who I determined was drowning, not playing and brought him to the side of the pool.   Once he was sitting on the edge, had calmed down and I found an adult who would be responsible for him, I went back to my post.   Later that day, the pool manager calls me into his office.  I was so excited because I figured that I was going to be congratulated or commended on the big save. ESPECIALLY, when it took place in another section of the pool.   Heck, maybe I would get a bonus or something.  Do lifeguards get bonuses if they save a life, like a commission?  Well, I got quite the surprise when I went into the manager's office and got reprimanded.   What the fuck?  I just saved a life!  A human being's life!  The opposite would have been a disaster!  Want to guess why I was reprimanded?  I'll give you a few moments to think.

I bet your first thought was because by jumping in the pool in someone else's section, it forced me to take my eyes off of my section.    If you thought that, BUZZZZ, you would be wrong.  I might actually understand that logic.  My infraction was that I did not blow my whistle before I jumped in to save the kid.  Really???  You mean my quick thinking and fast assessment was moot because I didn't blow the whistle first?   I totally lost my mind.  I was like "how come you don't blast (what ever the fuck her name was) for not even watching her section?  Why isn't SHE getting punished? Wouldn't THAT make more sense?  Anyway, I quit on the spot and took another job guarding at an indoor pool.  Not as glamorous but the people were more sensible.

More recently I had a couch that I was replacing.  This couch had a rip in it and was not very comfortable.  I figured instead of trying to sell it, I would put it on Craig's list and give it away to someone who needed it.   I even posted a picture of the couch showing the rip.  I wrote "couch is uncomfortable, but it's free.".   I got tons of responses.   So, I pick the first person that had decent grammar and arranged for him to pick it up on evening after work.  I even parked my car in the street so he could put his truck in my driveway for ease of removing the couch.   Well, that night I left the car out in the street because I forgot all about it.  What happened?  I got a ticket for leaving my car in the street overnight.  Really.  So giving away my couch cost me $60.00.  I should have either sold it or left it on the fucking curb.  Then my good deed would not have cost me money. 

I saw a more public and far worse example of good deeds being punished.  Check this out:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teen-suspended-preventing-school-bus-shooting-article-1.1278648

A teenage boy was on the school bus when another boy took out a gun and was about to shoot other kids.   What did the boy do?  He tackled the kid with the gun and got it out of his hands.  HOORAY!  He's a hero!   Guess what the school did?  (I would have given him at least free lunches and a study hall for the duration of his education).  They fucking suspended him!  Yep!  It's true.  Go ahead, click on the link and read the story.

What message is the school sending this poor kid?  Save the life of your peers and potentially get rejected from the college of your choice because of your high school suspension?  I know the lesson that I would have learned.  I would have learned..mind my own business and let everyone else die.  Survival of the fittest, y'all.   

I'm all about Karma.  I really believe do good and good comes back to you.  However,  I'm starting to to feel jaded and perhaps maybe I'll be a little shit and wait for someone else to do the good deed first.  I can be their punishment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment