Monday, March 8, 2010

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS

It's the little things that drive me friggin insane. Ironically, big issues I can seem to forgive, forget and move on. Granted, it might take a slight freakout before the forgiving and forgetting but at least I do move on. On the other hand I have several little pet peeves that drive me bananas. And while we are on the topic of bananas, I will focus on just one of my pet peeves here: The Supermarket. Yes, just going to the supermarket can have me break out in hives with all the LITTLE things that are BIG problems for me.

Let's start with the Deli line:

First, I just get annoyed when the person in front of me has a huge list of things to order. Every time the person behind the counter says "anything else?" with that look in his eyes that are really saying "Please don't have anything else" the customer replies with one more thing that I am internally hoping is really the last! Of course I can't prevent my timing from being in line behind this person, but the only option is to do more shopping and hope when I get back on line the long list person is gone. I am rarely brave enough to do this. I wish I had the guts to just say "Give the guy your freakin list so that at least he can just get all your stuff ready instead of saying "anything else" after each item.

You probably think I wouldn't have another issue with the deli line, but guess what, I do. This one I actually executed but I got dirty looks. I don't think I did anything wrong in this case but apparently I didn't use proper Deli Line Etiquette. So I'm on line and the person whose current turn it was had ordered a certain brand of turkey that I happen to also purchase. While the counter guy was slicing it up I said loud enough for him to hear "I want that too, so can I please have 1/2 a pound also"? OH MY G-D! You would think I stole bread from a homeless person or knocked over a handicapped person with the look I got from the others on line! I really didn't think I did anything wrong!!!! I mean, the guy had it out anyway, and why should he put it away just to take it out when it was my turn again? I was being efficient, not only for the employee but for others on line after me. Just for giggles, let's take the same act and put it in a different situation. Let's just say you are in your home and your significant other, roommate, whatever, is standing at the open fridge pouring a glass of water. Is it out of line to say, "Hey, don't put that pitcher back, I want some water too." Or is it more polite to make the person put away the water just for me say "Oh, can you take the water back out? I want some too"?

My next beef (GET IT, BEEF! AT THE GROCERY STORE! HA!) is with the new check out lines where you check yourself out. I'm weird with this one because sometimes I do enjoy doing it myself but at other times I'm like, "What the fuck? Now there's another job I need to do". I mean there are two times when I can do nothing, just hang and wait with my own thoughts. One time is sitting on the toilet..the other is waiting on line and waiting for my check out to be done. I am required to do nothing for a few minutes of my life and it's sooo refreshing. So when I am forced to check myself out I get kind of ticked. Also I feel the same way about self check out as I do about driving. Everybody else sucks at it but me. People are always holding up the line by not knowing the code for the fruit or vegetable they scan (want to test me: bananas = code 4011) or their item won't scan. Of course it's always user error unless it's my turn and it is not working.

My last issue regards the parking lot. This is HUGE for me and I don't know why I can't just get over it. Why the heck can't people put their shopping carts back in the corral???? How hard is it to walk over to the little hut and stick your cart back in? You just walked around a grocery store..I'm sure you have the ability to walk over and put the cart away. The WORST... WORST, is when someone sticks the cart in an empty handicapped spot. EWWWW, that infuriates me! What is handicapped person going to do? Get out of their car and put it away for you so they can park???? C'mon!!!

The second worst is when someone sticks their cart behind or against your car so that YOU have to put their friggin cart away (or let it roll) just so you can leave! And since I brought up rolling carts..that is one reason why I will never, ever, get a really nice car. Until I am done with parking at supermarket parking lots, I will continue to drive a car in which I don't care about dings or scratches.

No comments:

Post a Comment